This week I’m uploading my Book Cover Design Collage in Photoshop. This is one of my projects from my Intro to Mac class! I hope you guys Enjoy….
Ps: This project was inspired on the book “Healing with the Arts,” by Michael Samuels and Mary Lane. The ISBN, and the bar code I got it online, so they do not work.
The professor’s directions was…
“Objectives: Use Photoshop knowledge of scanning, sizing and manipulation of images and color to create an original Book Cover Design. The final design should be a collage of images and a unique layout of type.
Final project includes:
1. Brainstorming (5 downloaded book covers that inspire you) and 5 thumbnail sketches for composition, type and layout. This brainstorming should include any visual research, mind-mapping and inspiration and can be hand drawn. Place a PDF document of all 10 brainstorming images in your folder labeled, “Brainstorming – Book Design”
3. A final .jpg and PDF document of design.
4. Size requirements: 8” x 10.5” at 300 dpi-
Remember you will not only be designing the front cover, but the spine and the back cover as well. This should read as one cohesive design.
1. Use a variety of original images.
2. Use selection tools to clip photographs and arrange these on layers.
3. Add color through Hue and Saturation to each layer.
4. Add text that correlates to the Book Design, title, author, etc. Be sure to think about typography design to create an artistic arrangement of the words.
8. The design layout should be original, yet balanced.
9. Create unity by repetition of color, type styles and sizes and texture technique.”